Thursday, May 17, 2012
APOINTMENT WITH DRS D MCKIM AND DE BOUR AT THE REHABILITATION CENTRE ON MAY 15/12 BY PETER C ELLIS
APOINTMENT WITH DRS D MCKIM AND DE BOUR AT THE REHABILITATION CENTRE ON MAY 15/12 BY PETER C ELLIS SUMMARY : Main point of discussion was to find out what I would want done if I got very sick again like in 2009 and had to go to Emergency to be admitted to hospital. MY DECISION is to go on the ventilator for a week and if there was no hope of me recovering, My wish is for them to stop treatment, ending my days on earth. Dr Mckim conveyed my wishes to my wife too. POINTS I CONSIDERED IN MAKING ABOVE DECISION: -My lung condition has further deteriorated as compared to when I was admitted to the Queensway Carleton Hospital for six weeks from Aug 8 to Sept 17/2009. -My FEV! dropped 5 % from 35 % to 27 % of normal in 3 years. (FEV! - Now is 27 % of normal) (FEV1 - in Aug 2009 was 35 % of normal) -The possibility in having to be on a trac and on a ventilator for the rest of my life if I got very sick again, did not appeal to me at all. -My Shortness of Breath and Wheezing is much worse now than in 2009. -Walking and other physical exertion is more difficult now. -My present oxygen level in the blood is 91 % instead of my normal 94 %. DR”S IMMEDIATE RECOMMENDATIONS - - Increase Advair amount from 250 to 500 mcg - Will admit me to the pulmonary physio dept for exercise to increase my long volumes: Thread Mill, Bicycling, etc twice a week as an outpatient. - Next fall, Drs will put me on antibiotics to take on Mon. Wed. and Fri for the rest of my life to fight in infection in my lungs. - Drs. took a sample of my sputum which was green.